instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

‘Why was this man free to kill my husband?’

THE widow of a renowned academic stabbed to death by a mentally ill stranger has demanded that his inquest answers why prosecutors dropped separate charges against the killer just days before he struck.

Femi Nandap is serving an indefinite hospital order for fatally stabbing Dr Jeroen Ensink, 41, as the lecturer left his home in Islington, north London, to post cards announcing the birth of his daughter in December 2015.

Police had been told that foreign student Nandap was receiving psychiatric treatment in his home nation of Nigeria while on bail awaiting trial for knife-related charges, which the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) dropped days before he killed.

Dr Ensink’s widow, Nadja Ensink-Teich, wants a series of questions answered by the inquest at St Pancras Coroner’s Court, including why the CPS failed to prosecute.

Killed: Dr Jeroen Ensink

In a statement read to the court today, she asked: ‘How can it be Mr Nandap, apparently so mentally unwell, was armed with a knife and was at liberty on the day he killed my husband?’

Pc Adam Wellings, one of the Metropolitan Police officers involved in the arrest six months before the fatal attack, told the court Nandap had exhibited ‘phenomenal strength’.

In his statement to police, he described how Nandap snatched his Taser, punched him and tried to bite his nose while grappling with him and another officer at his sister’s house after intimidating members of the public while allegedly possessing a knife.

Nandap only stopped resisting arrest when the Taser was recovered and pointed at him and a kitchen knife was recovered from the scene, the court heard.

Coroner Mary Hassell asked Pc Wellings: ‘Did you anticipate Mr Nandap would be prosecuted?’

‘Yes, I did,’ the officer said.

‘Did you want him to be prosecuted?’ she added.

‘Yes,’ he replied.

The jury heard Nandap had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, having suffered hallucinations and believing he was a ‘Messiah’ who could communicate with people telepathically.

Ms Ensink-Teich wept when the court was told how off-duty special constable Maria Hegarty heard cries of ‘help me, help me’ from her home before finding the killer standing over Dr Ensink.

A post-mortem examination found Dr Ensink died of shock and haemorrhage, as well as multiple stab wounds to the chest and back.

Six days before attacking the Dutch academic, who worked at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the charges against Nandap of possession of a knife and assaulting a police officer were dropped.

While on conditional bail, Nandap returned to Nigeria where he was treated with anti-psychotic drugs and his sister told police he was not fit to travel because he was suffering from depression and psychosis.

Nandap, 25, admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

The student, who was in the country to study at the London School of Economics, went on to be treated at Broadmoor psychiatric hospital.

The inquest, expected to last three weeks, continues.