A VULNERABLE and exploited teenage girl told a trial she was forced into sex with ‘at least 100 Asian men’ before she was 16.
She was one of five girls, now in their 30s, who were plied with drugs and alcohol then sexually exploited and passed between men.
Seven men have been convicted of sexually assaulting teenagers in Rotherham — the first major prosecution from an inquiry into historical abuse in the South Yorkshire town.
Prosecutor Michelle Colborne QC said the girls ‘were targeted, sexualised and, in some instances, subjected to acts of a degrading and violent nature. None had the maturity to understand they were being groomed’. She said: ‘They each suffer the emotional effects of that abuse to this day.’
One victim said she was left traumatised aged 14 after she was driven to a forest by defendants Nabeel Kurshid, 35, and Iqlak Yousaf, 34, and raped by a gang. She was forced to have an abortion.
Ms Colborne said the girl had been given cannabis and was ‘high as a kite’ during the attack between August 2002 and August 2003.
Operation Stovewood, a National Crime Agency inquiry, began after the 2014 Jay Report laid bare the scale of exploitation in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013 and the failure of police and social services to act. It has identified 1,500 victims.
Ms Colborne said girls were ‘frequently in cars stopped by the police but this did not deter the abusers’.
Kurshid, Yousaf, Mohammed Imran Ali Akhtar, 37, Tanweer Ali, 37, all of Rotherham, and Salah Ahmed El-Hakam, 39, of Sheffield, and another man who cannot be named were found guilty of offences including rape and indecent assault. Asif Ali, 33, of Rotherham, was convicted of two indecent assaults.
All were remanded at Sheffield crown court to be sentenced on November 16.
Ajmal Rafiq, 39, of Rotherham, was acquitted of all charges.