instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

‘Truth about no-deal may scare people if published’

A NEW row over Operation Yellowhammer was brewing last night hours after Andrea Leadsom said the government’s no-deal predictions were too scary for the public to know.

The government released only six pages of its secret memo which lays out the ‘reasonable worst case’ impacts of no-deal.

MPs had voted for the government to publish the document but a redacted version was issued by last night’s deadline.

The government also defied calls to release emails and text messages between Downing Street staff related to Boris Johnson’s decision to suspend parliament.

Cabinet member Michael Gove insisted the MPs’ request was unlawful and disclosure would ‘offend against basic principles of fairness’ to employees.

Earlier, business secretary Mrs Leadsom (pictured) told BBC Breakfast: ‘I actually do not think that it serves people well to see what is the absolutely worst thing that could happen. Simply putting out there all possible permutations of what could happen actually just serves to concern people.’

Meanwhile, The Sunday Times sources confirmed the paperwork, which warns of food shortages, long queues at borders and civil unrest, was the same document that was leaked to the newspaper — and reported by Metro — four weeks ago.

Labour MP Paul Sweeney described the partial release as ‘perfunctory’ and ‘contemptuous of the will of parliament’.

Expelled Conservative MP Dominic Grieve, who tabled the motion calling for the release of all documents, has threatened legal action. One government source told MailOnline: ‘Dominic Grieve can f*** off.’ But the former attorney general replied: ‘I hope they go away and weigh up the implications very carefully.’

Whitehall ‘exploring plans’ for Boris’s bridge vision

BORIS JOHNSON has asked civil servants to investigate if a bridge stretching more than 20 miles from Scotland to Northern Ireland can be built. The prime minister reportedly told staff to draw up plans for the project — estimated to cost around £12billion — which he first mooted when he was foreign secretary. Engineers previously called the idea ‘insane’, saying the waterway’s depth and frequent poor weather made the plan impractical.