A BULIMIC student suffered the ‘most distressing’ death after becoming addicted to a toxic slimming aid bought online, a court heard.
The night before her death, Eloise Parry, 21, had taken eight pills containing the poison Dinitrophenol (DNP). Richard Barraclough QC, prosecuting, told Inner London crown court it was like Russian roulette, ‘you might survive, you might not’.
Albert Huynh, 33, from Northolt, Bernard Rebelo, 30, and Mary Roberts, 32, both from Gosport, deny two counts each of manslaughter, and one count each of supplying an unsafe food. Roberts faces a count of money laundering.
The court was told the DNP was imported from China and each 25kg drum — bought for £340 to £400 — made a £200,000 profit. The defendants knew DNP was dangerous, jurors heard, but made the capsules at a flat in Harrow, north-west London, and sold them online.
Before her death on April 12, 2015, Ms Parry, a Wrexham Glyndwr University student, was hospitalised numerous times and sent messages to friends saying she wanted to stop taking the pills but was ‘addicted’. The trial continues.