instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Teen hit by school bus was distracted by mobile phone

Tragic loss: Pupil Sian Ellis, 15 PICTURE: RAYMONDS PRESS/FACEBOOK

THE family of a teenager killed as she walked in front of a school bus while looking at her mobile phone have issued a warning to other pedestrians.

King Edward VII College pupil Sian Ellis was declared dead at the scene after she was knocked down by the double decker yards from the school, an inquest heard.

Witnesses say the 15-year-old from Whitwick, Leicestershire, was looking at her phone and may have been wearing headphones when she was hit in Coalville on January 28 last year. Her family said her loss was ‘unquantifiable’, adding: ‘We must try to help others learn from it and stress the dangers of mobile phones and the distractions these can cause when walking by and crossing busy roadways.’

Loughborough coroner’s court heard the bus was driven by Michael Parker, who only had a provisional licence and shouldn’t even have been at the wheel of a car unaccompanied.

The 62-year-old, of Coalville, was fined £120 and given a four-year driving ban after admitting motoring offences, which also included having no insurance. He said he saw a ‘flash’ in front of him but hadn’t seen Sian walk into the road.

Det Con John Borlase said Parker, who was travelling at 19mph, was not charged with causing death by careless driving because ‘there was no carelessness in his driving that caused the collision’.

Sian’s family said his sentence did not reflect his ‘totally deplorable’ actions, which they will have to live with ‘for the rest of our lives’. Coroner Louise Pinder concluded Sian died as ‘the result of a road traffic collision’.