instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Teen girl who killed Katie, 7, sent to specialist hospital

A TEENAGER who killed a seven-year-old girl in a park has been ordered to be detained for assessment in a specialist hospital for 12 weeks by a judge who told her she poses ‘a high risk of serious harm to others and to yourself’.

The 16-year-old girl broke down and sobbed at Leeds Crown Court where she appeared via video-link to be sentenced for the manslaughter of Katie Rough (pictured above).

Katie was found with severe lacerations to her neck and chest on a playing field in York in January and did not respond to frantic attempts to revive her.

But a judge heard earlier this year that she actually died from being smothered by her attacker, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

On Thursday, Mr Justice Soole told the defendant she would be detained in hospital for 12 weeks before she is returned to court for further sentencing to take place on November 24.

The girl, wearing glasses and dressed in casual clothes, sat with a lawyer in another room at the court building.

For most of the hearing she had her legs crossed and rested her hands in her lap as she listened to the lawyers discuss her clinical diagnoses.

But, as the judge addressed her, she bent forward and began crying loudly.

Grief: Paul and Alison Rough (centre), parents of murdered York schoolgirl Katie Rough, arriving at York Minster with the Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu back in February for a service PICTURE: PA

Earlier this year, the court heard that the teenager was found standing in a cul-de-sac in a York suburb, covered in blood and carrying a blood-stained Stanley knife as she rang 999 to tell police what she had done.

The judge was told she may have been trying to prove Katie was not a robot as she had ‘irrational beliefs’.

The girl denied murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility at the hearing in July.

This plea was accepted by the prosecution.

The judge has heard that the girl began suffering from mental health problems more than a year before the killing.

Prosecutors said she had reported delusional thoughts as well as depression, self-harm and suicidal thoughts.

They said the girl had talked of being convinced that people ‘weren’t human and were robots’.

The judge told the girl he was making the hospital order ‘in order to try and obtain the fullest picture of your mental condition and its prospects of treatment before making my final decision as to the appropriate sentence in your case’.

The judge stressed that, although the interim order can only be made for 12 weeks, one of the doctors has indicated ‘that the necessary management and assessment will take a minimum six months’.