instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Teacher died after drinking red wine in garden with pal

Bottle: Gill
Howe was
not used
to drinking
alcohol
and was
found
slumped
in her
chair
PICTURE: MEN MEDIA

A PRIMARY school teacher, ‘inexperienced’ with alcohol, died after drinking a bottle of wine in her back garden with a friend.

Mother-of-four Gill Howe, 46, fell ‘slumped’ in her chair and could not be resuscitated, an inquest heard.

Her family said she rarely drank alcohol and was often the designated driver when going out.

Mrs Howe was sharing a bottle of red wine with a work colleague in her garden at Beverley, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, last June, Hull coroner’s court was told.

Both women fell asleep but when her friend woke up she was unable to rouse Mrs Howe.

A post-mortem examination found she had died from respiratory failure caused by alcohol poisoning. She was not able to tolerate as much as a regular drinker, pathologist Dr Justin Cooke said.

Coroner Rosemary Baxter concluded Mrs Howe’s death was alcohol-related.