instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Sex attacks recorded on Tube up 42% in four years

SEX assaults reported on the London Underground have soared 42 per cent in the past four years, figures show.

Attacks on the Tube recorded by the British Transport Police rose from 844 to 1,206, according to statistics from the Mayor of London’s office.

The force said it expected a rise after victims were encouraged to come forward but campaigners say more needs to be done to stop attackers before they strike.

Andrea Simon, of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, said: ‘CCTV shows they will move around the network looking for women to target, most often during the commuter rush hours when the Tube network is busiest.’

The figures show there were 138 sexual assaults on the Night Tube since it began in August 2016, with 62 in the past year.

The Central line saw the most recorded assaults with 1,054, followed by 645 on the Victoria line, 601 on the Northern line and 547 on the Jubilee line. On Friday, Tomas Bukys, 45, from Brentwood, Essex, was sentenced to a two-year community order after he touched a woman’s bottom three times on a crowded Tube train.

Siwan Hayward, TfL director of policing, said: ‘More undercover patrols take place on the Central line than any other line and a programme of work is under way to install CCTV on the line as quickly as possible from 2020.’

Det Insp David Udomhiaye said it was ‘pleasing that previously reluctant victims of sexual offences now have the confidence to report this to us’.