instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Sadiq Khan furious at ‘nuclear’ plan for M25 coronavirus quarantine

SADIQ KHAN yesterday accused the prime minister of ‘riding roughshod’ over Londoners with secret plans to send them back into lockdown.

London’s mayor wrote to Boris Johnson after claims that he might impose a ‘nuclear option’ of sealing off the capital, with the M25 serving as a ‘border’, if there is a second spike there.

Mr Khan (pictured) said the first he had heard of it was in the Sunday papers, adding: ‘Our surprise is that such far-reaching contingency plans have been discussed and tested without the involvement of London’s government.’

Other measures the PM is said to have ‘war-gamed’ include asking people aged over 50 to self-isolate across the country.

The Nobel Prize-winning geneticist Sir Paul Nurse said the handling of the pandemic has been bungled because major decisions are ‘shrouded in secrecy’ by politicians and official advisers. ‘Treat the public as adults,’ he urged.

‘We need openness, transparency, scrutiny, and a leadership of people taking responsibility for the decision-making, and we need it now.’

Meanwhile, Tube journeys in London were still 75 per cent down on the same time last year as the government lifted its advice to work from home yesterday.

About 4.5million people in Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire remain banned from visiting each other’s homes after a spike in cases. Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said it was ‘inhumane’ that the city’s most vulnerable people had not been told to resume shielding.

No.10 said a lockdown in London had always been one of the possible options.