A DAESH supporter who called for an attack on Prince George has been warned he could face life behind bars after changing his plea during his trial.
Husnain Rashid (pictured above), of Nelson, Lancashire, had maintained his innocence throughout proceedings at Woolwich Crown Court, but today he changed tack and admitted a string of terror offences.
The 32-year-old used a Telegram chat group to call on supporters on October 13 to target the four-year-old heir to the throne, who had started at Thomas’s Battersea, in south-west London, a month earlier.
He also posted suggestions of which British football stadiums terrorists could strike following the deadly attack outside Besiktas’s ground in Turkey, and plotted to inject ice cream with poison.
Rashid, of Leonard Street, posted a photograph of the prince at the school super-imposed with silhouettes of two masked jihad fighters.
Nearly two weeks into his trial, prosecutor Annabel Darlow said: ‘The defendant has asked to be re-indicted on counts one to four.’
He then had three counts of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts and one count of encouraging terrorism put to him — and pleaded guilty to each.
Judge Andrew Lees told him that the trial had heard the ‘most disturbing allegations’, adding: ‘It is inevitable that you will receive a very lengthy prison sentence and there will be a consideration of a life prison sentence.’
He will be sentenced on June 28.
His trial had been expected to last six weeks, focusing on offences spanning from October 2016 to April this year.
Last week, prosecutor Annabel Darlow told the court ‘the underlying message was clear’ that ‘Prince George and other members of the royal family should be viewed as targets’.
‘Even the royal family will not be left alone,’ Rashid messaged the group, before sharing the school’s full address and postcode.
He added: ‘School starts early.’
A magazine he was producing contained suggestions to strike the 2018 World Cup in Russia with vehicles, weapons or bombs.
Rashid, who is said to have taught at the Muhammadi mosque, ran a ‘prolific’ Telegram channel named the Lone Mujahid where he provided an ‘e-toolkit for terrorism’, the prosecution said.
This allegedly included a recipe for the poison ricin from the Islamist propaganda magazine Inspire, how to make Molotov cocktails and napalm, and a suggestion of poisoning supermarket ice creams.
His list of targets were wide-ranging — including British Army bases, shopping centres, Jewish communities and government buildings.
He also suggested that he planned to flee to Syria to fight for Daesh..