instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Prince Andrew ‘angered’ at claims of dodging Jeffrey Epstein inquiry

Disastrous: Andrew on Newsnight

PRINCE Andrew is said to be ‘angry and bewildered’ at claims he has provided ‘zero co-operation’ to US authorities over the Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficking inquiry.

The Duke of York is ‘happy to talk’ to the FBI but has not heard from agents, a source close to the royal told The Daily Telegraph.

It came after New York prosecutor Geoffrey Berman said on Monday that both his own team and the FBI had contacted the royal’s lawyers, but there had been no response.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment but it was understood the matter was being dealt with by Andrew’s legal team.

The Telegraph source said: ‘The duke is more than happy to talk to the FBI but he hasn’t been approached by them yet.

‘He is angry about the way this is being portrayed and bewildered as to why this was said in New York.’

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who says she was trafficked by Epstein, has told the BBC’s Panorama she was left ‘horrified and ashamed’ after an alleged sexual encounter with Andrew in London in 2001.

But the duke, 59, categorically denies he had any form of sexual contact or relationship with her.

He stepped down from royal duties in November after giving a disastrous BBC Newsnight interview about the scandal.

He was accused of showing a lack of regret over his friendship with disgraced financier Epstein, who took his own life in prison last year while awaiting trial. He was also mocked for saying he was at a Pizza Express in Woking on the day he allegedly met Ms Giuffre in London.

During the interview, he said: ‘I am willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency.’

US lawyer Lisa Bloom, who represents five of Epstein’s alleged victims, said Mr Berman had to challenge Andrew publicly because he lacked the power to subpoena him.

She has urged the duke to ‘stop playing games’.