instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Peer’s skunk-user son had made threats to kill himself

Parents: Karen Green and Lord Monson at the inquest yesterday PICTURE: SWNS

THE son of a peer told his father he would make a ‘proper job’ of killing himself just months before he was found hanging in his mother’s garden, an inquest heard.

Rupert Green, 21, had argued on the phone with Lord Nicholas Monson after his father refused to send him money.

‘He said, “You think I’m going to spend the money you send me on drink and drugs”,’ the peer told the hearing.

‘He said, “Well I am”, and I said, “Right, well I’m not sending you any money”.

Custody: Alexander Monson died in Kenya

‘He said to me a few expletives and he said the night before he had tried to kill himself by running around in front of traffic but this time he was going to make a proper job of it and stand in front of a train. He said, “Have a happy life”, and he put down the telephone.’

The police were called and Mr Green, a student at Essex university, spent three weeks in a mental health unit. His family believe his problems were triggered by his use of strong skunk cannabis.

His mother, Karen Green, said he asked to return to hospital just weeks before his death but ‘nurses told me he would not fit the criteria so he would not be admitted’.

She found her son hanging in her garden in Surrey during a police helicopter search when he went missing in January 2017. He died five days later in hospital.

Five years earlier, Lord Monson’s older son, and Mr Green’s half-brother, Alexander Monson, 28, died in police custody in Kenya. His family claim he was beaten to death by an officer after his arrest for suspected cannabis use.

After his younger son’s death, Lord Monson declared a ‘war on skunk’, calling for the decriminalisation of weaker forms of cannabis to prevent the abuse of stronger strains.

Ms Green said that in the days before her son’s death he reported hearing voices and said he was the son of God. ‘There was more delusional stuff,’ she told the inquest. On the day he was found hanging, Mr Green ‘talked about killing himself because I was hiding the truth from him’, she said. His mother texted a nurse saying, ‘I don’t know how to cope’, but ‘no reply was received’. Ms Green said: ‘The loss of Rupert is a life sentence of devastating proportions.’

Surrey and Borders NHS Foundation Trust has launched an investigation into the claim that Mr Green was denied a hospital bed. The inquest continues at Woking coroner’s court.

Contact Samaritans: Find your local branch online at: or call: 116 123.