THE man known as ‘Nick’ who claimed he was the victim of an alleged VIP paedophile ring at Westminster can now be named as Carl Beech.
The identity of the 50-year-old has been shrouded in mystery since he came forward four years ago to allege he had been sexually abused by high-profile figures and leading politicians in the 1970s and 1980s.
But a judge lifted a reporting restriction barring publication of the father-of-one’s name at a Newcastle crown court hearing yesterday.
Mr Beech is accused of 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one of fraud.
He made allegations against former prime minister Sir Edward Heath, ex-minister Lord Brittan (pictured below), former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor and ex-chief of the defence staff, Lord Bramall.
His claims led to the launch of a £2.5million inquiry called Operation Midland by Scotland Yard.
No action resulted from his allegations and the investigation was closed after finding no evidence of any wrongdoing. In September last year, Northumbria Police passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service which led to Mr Beech being charged.
He appeared at court by video link yesterday, where he entered no pleas. During the brief hearing, the former NHS manager and school governor — who used to live with his mother, a retired vicar — learned he would stand trial on May 7, next year.
Child sexual abuse is up by 206%, MPs told
CHILD sexual abuse has risen by more than 200 per cent in the past five years, Sajid Javid told MPs.
‘Sadly the amount of abuse we’re seeing is increasing year by year,’ the home secretary said. ‘To give a sense of that, in terms of all child sexual offences there was a 23 per cent increase in the year to March 2018 and, compared to 2013, there was a 206 per cent increase.’
But he assured the Commons there was ‘much more work and effort going into this’ and there were ‘about 400 arrests and about 500 children safeguarded’ each month.