How well do you remember the past decade?
1. Which British political consulting firm shut down in May 2018 amid a scandal over harvesting people’s data from Facebook without their consent?
2. Which two countries, just 103 miles apart, re-established international relations in 2015 after 54 years of hostility including a failed invasion and a nuclear missile scare?
3. What did voters reject in a referendum in 2011?
4. What was the voting split in the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum?
5. Where was Theresa May enjoying a holiday when she came up with her plan for the 2017 snap election?
6. Which son of a bus driver ended up in charge of London in May 2016?
7. Which former Cabinet minister was jailed in 2013 for perverting the course of justice by convincing his then wife to take speeding points on his behalf?
8. Who did Barack Obama defeat to win a second term as US president in 2012?
9. What was unique about the 2010 Labour leadership election?
10. What did Donald Trump try to buy from Denmark in 2019?
1. In how many consecutive games did Leicester striker Jamie Vardy score to set a Premier League record in 2015?
2. Which team beat Stoke to win the 2011 FA Cup and lift their first trophy in 35 years?
3. Which country completed the Grand Slam to claim rugby union’s 2010 RBS 6 Nations title?
4. At which two distances did British runner Mo Farah win double Olympic gold again in Rio 2016?
5. Who announced their retirement from football in May 2013 after a 39-year career as a manager?
6. Where did Team GB finish in the medal table at London 2012?
7. By what score did Germany beat hosts Brazil in their 2014 World Cup semi-final?
8. Who beat England’s Justin Rose in a play-off to win golf’s 2017 Masters?
9. Who beat Serena Williams in the 2018 US Open final, as the American tennis player suffered an extraordinary meltdown, to secure her own first grand slam title?
10. Who inflicted a first professional defeat on Anthony Joshua in June this year to win the IBF, WBA and WBO world heavyweight titles?
1. Which celebrity couple coined the phrase ‘consciously uncouple’ when they announced their divorce in 2014?
2. Which film won the 2017 Oscar for best picture after an embarrassing mix-up which saw the wrong winner announced?
3. Which reality TV star filed for divorce after just 72 days of marriage in 2011?
4. Which singer made history in 2018 when she became the first African-American woman to headline American music festival Coachella?
5. Which Hollywood actor finally won an Oscar in 2016, after being nominated six times but failing to win?
6. Name the British singer who made history when she won six Grammy awards in 2012?
7. Whose 2019 Glastonbury performance was named by the BBC as the most watched ever for the broadcaster?
8. Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Elton John, Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Tom Jones and Dame Shirley Bassey all performed at which event in 2012?
9. Who was the first South Korean pop star to top UK singles chart in 2012 and with which song?
10. Who took a star-studded selfie at the 2014 Oscars that went on to break records?
1. Who thought their tiara was about to come crashing down as they walked down the aisle?
2. Which anniversary did the Queen reach in February 2017?
3. What year did William propose to Kate Middleton?
4. Which country did the Queen visit for the first time in 2011?
5. What was the name of the royal barge which carried the Queen and other royals down the Thames during the Diamond Jubilee River Pageant?
6. What was it the 100th anniversary of in 2017?
7. Who said the Queen was not the country’s greatest monarch when she became the nation’s longest-reigning sovereign in 2015?
8. Which royal was reburied in 2015 and where?
9. How long was the Duchess of Sussex’s wedding veil?
10. Which royal baby weighed 8lb 7oz at birth?
1. In 2010, who likened the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition to a ‘cross between a bulldog and a Chihuahua’?
2. Which footballer said in 2011: ‘I’m not happy in Manchester, I don’t like the city. Everything’s OK with the coach and my team-mates, but the city is not to my taste’?
3. In June 2012, after shaking hands with the Queen, who said: ‘I’m still a republican’?
4. Who said this in 2013? ‘Winning Wimbledon, I can’t get my head around that. I still can’t believe it’s happened’?
5. Who was David Cameron speaking about when he said in 2014: ‘That was something. She purred down the line’?
6. Who said in 2015: ‘That is not music I would listen to. Would you listen to One Direction, sitting at a party with your girl? I wouldn’t’?
7. Who said, as counts got under way in the EU referendum in 2016: ‘…I think Remain will edge it, yes. It is a calm and rational feeling. If I am wrong, I would be thrilled’?
8. Who said of himself in 2017: ‘You’re about to see the world’s most experienced plaque-unveiler’?
9. Speaking in the wake of the Salisbury nerve agent attack in 2018, who said: ‘Frankly, Russia should go away and should shut up.’
10. Who said in September this year: ‘You have stolen my dreams, my childhood with your empty words’?
Name the year
1. In which year did Gareth Bale become the then most expensive footballer in the world when he left Tottenham to join Real Madrid for £85.3 million?
2. In which year did England become the last country in the UK to introduce a mandatory 5p charge for plastic carrier bags at supermarkets?
3. In which year did the Sun on Sunday newspaper publish for the first time?
4. In which year did Tony McCoy end his long wait for Grand National glory when he rode Don’t Push It to victory at Aintree?
5. In which year did a ‘visit to see Europe’s largest cathedral spire’ lead to the attempted murder of a Russian ex-double agent and his daughter and the murder of a 44-year-old woman?
6. In which year were the so-called London Riots, a series of protests across England which started in Tottenham following the death of Mark Duggan?
7. In which year did then prime minister Theresa May reveal running through fields of wheat was the naughtiest thing she had ever done?
8. In which year did the first gay weddings take place in England and Wales, following a change in the law allowing same-sex marriage?
9. Which year saw the deaths of David Bowie, George Michael and Alan Rickman?
10. In which year was Climate Strike named Collins Dictionary’s Word Of The Year?
And those all important answers…
1. Cambridge Analytica
2. The US and Cuba
3. Voting reform (Alternative Vote)
4. 55-45 in favour of staying in the UK
6. Sadiq Khan
7. Chris Huhne
8. Mitt Romney
9. It was contested between brothers Ed and David Miliband, with Ed victorious
2. Manchester City
4. 5,000 and 10,000 metres
5. Sir Alex Ferguson
8. Sergio Garcia
9. Naomi Osaka
10. Andy Ruiz Jr
1. Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
3. Kim Kardashian after splitting from her second husband, NBA player Kris Humphries
5. Leonardo DiCaprio, who won best actor for The Revenant
7. Kylie Minogue
8. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert
9. Psy with Gangnam Style
10. Ellen DeGeneres
1. Lady Gabriella Windsor
2. Her Blue Sapphire Jubilee — 65 years on the throne
5. The Spirit of Chartwell
6. The House of Windsor – the royal family changed their surname from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor because of anti-German feeling during the First World War
7. Historian Sir David Starkey
8. Richard III in Leicester Cathedral
9. Five metres
10. Prince Louis
1. Then mayor of London Boris Johnson
2. Then Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli
3. Late ex-IRA member turned politician Martin McGuinness
4. Andy Murray, after ending Britain’s 77-year wait for a men’s singles winner at SW19
5. The Queen, who was apparently reacting to the No vote in the Scottish independence referendum
6. Zayn Malik, who quit One Direction in March that year
7. Nigel Farage
8. The Duke of Edinburgh, as he opened a new stand at Lord’s cricket ground
9. Then defence secretary Gavin Williamson
10. Greta Thunberg calls for urgent action from world leaders attending a UN climate action summit
Name the year