The Chapel in Southwark
Originally built in 1935, the Chapel (above) is a family home crafted from a derelict former chapel. The house needed to dovetail into the existing shell while allowing creative freedom internally. Architects Craftworks created a lower ground level for four bedrooms, a large, ground-floor living space with a vaulted ceiling and a mezzanine level offering privacy.
1980s end -of-terrace extension, Southwark
The extension, designed by architects Archmongers LLP, is unified by an exterior brick stain on both old and new walls. The garage has been converted into a bedroom and is now connected to the house via a single-storey courtyard extension, containing a terrazzo-lined kitchen and dining room. A series of clerestory windows introduce light, while corrugated aluminium on the roof emphasises the pitched form.
Folded Wedge Townhouse
By Russell Hunt Architects (as seen on previous page)
Lauriston Road extension, Hackney
This rear two-storey extension to update a Victorian maisonette is built in exposed concrete and brick, and created a new living space and upstairs studio room for Gundry + Ducker’s photographer client. The unlit space at the centre of the plan is used as a bathroom and utility room.
■ The winning architecture practices will be on hand to discuss their solutions with homeowners looking to extend at a series of NLA Design Surgeries throughout the year, the first of which will be held in London on Saturday, March 2. For more information about the Design Surgeries, visit newlondonarchitecture.org