instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

My baby was left to wait 20 hours in A&E with rash

Covered: Dolcie-Rae with the rash caused by hand, foot and mouth disease PICS: SWNS

A MOTHER was forced to wait for more than 20 hours in A&E while her ten-month-old baby was suffering from hand, foot and mouth disease.

Chelsea Clarke claims she was treated poorly after she took Dolcie-Rae to Basildon Hospital with an extremely high temperature.

She said her daughter developed a rash covering her entire body while waiting in A&E. ‘She had a rash on every part of her body. She had a rash in her ears and eyes,’ Ms Clarke said.

She was told her daughter had hand, foot and mouth disease and was sent home that night with medicine.

The 21-year-old, from Laindon, Essex, took her daughter back to A&E at around 6pm the following day after Dolcie-Rae showed no sign of improvement. She said: ‘We were in the main A&E outside the X-ray because she was contagious. Dolcie had not drunk anything or eaten all day. She didn’t have any wet nappies and they didn’t seem concerned.’

Ms Clarke also claims a nurse laughed when she told her Dolcie had only drunk two ounces of water that day. She said she and her daughter were waiting in A&E overnight before Dolcie-Ray was taken to the Puffin Ward. She added: ‘I really don’t think that letting a mum wait with a baby less than a year old for so many hours overnight is acceptable.’

Dolcie-Rae stayed overnight and was discharged on November 27. She is now recovering at home.

Ms Clarke said: ‘The hospital apologised but it should have come from the nurses.’

Basildon Hospital has said sorry to Ms Clarke for her experience, which was because of a busy A&E, and added that a member of staff is being investigated. Dawn Patience, director of nursing, said: ‘We are committed to providing our patients with high quality care and when we experience exceptionally high attendances to A&E staff work hard to avoid the long waits this patient and her mum experienced and we have personally apologised to her.’

The hospital also said ‘quick action’ was taken to address her complaint and the staff member has been moved to another ward.