instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Man murdered wife when she found out he had secret family

Dumped: Husband Janbaz Tarin

A MAN has been jailed for life for murdering his wife and her mother after they discovered he had a secret second wife and children in Afghanistan.

Janbaz Tarin, 21, knifed 22-year-old Raneem Oudeh and Khaola Saleem to death in a ‘vicious and sustained attack’, Birmingham crown court was told.

He had followed Ms Oudeh to her mother’s home in Solihull on August 27 after a public row involving the three.

Afterwards he led West Midlands Police on a three-day manhunt before his dramatic capture.

Victim: Raneem Oudeh learned truth

Sentencing Tarin yesterday, Mrs Justice Sue Carr said he will serve a minimum of 32 years. His crimes had ‘devastated’ the victims’ family, the judge added.

Ms Oudeh, who was Tarin’s wife under Islamic law, had dumped her husband in the weeks before his attack after learning he had three children and a wife who was pregnant with a fourth child.

Tarin, who met Ms Oudeh at Solihull College, was ‘abusive and controlling’ and she had previously contacted police about his violent behaviour, the court heard.

After they split Tarin repeatedly harassed his ex-partner, sleeping outside 49-year-old Mrs Saleem’s home for 12 consecutive nights. In the weeks before her murder, Ms Oudeh told family members Tarin had threatened her, saying ‘if you leave me, I will kill you and your family’.

Ms Oudeh secured a non-molestation order against him after he smashed her phone on August 10. But he flouted the ban and in the hours leading up to the assault Ms Oudeh made three calls to police. She was on the phone to a 999 call handler when Tarin struck.

On the night of August 26, he followed Ms Oudeh and her mother to a shisha lounge, where they had a confrontation. Tarin was thrown out after being heard making threats to kill his estranged wife.

Also killed: Ms Oudeh’s mother PICTURE: PA

He left the scene, picked up a knife and later drove to Mrs Saleem’s home where he attacked mother and daughter. A tip-off by the public led to his capture, although a criminal investigation is continuing into those who may have assisted Tarin in evading justice.

Det Ch Supt Mark Payne said: ‘This was a premeditated, cowardly attack by a man with a history of violence towards women.

‘He hunted down the victims, hid in waiting and then inflicted savage, unsurvivable wounds on them.’ Ms Oudeh was only in the UK having fled the war in Syria to be with her mother and stepfather, who had lived in Solihull for 16 years.

Tarin, of Sparkhill, Birmingham, admitted two counts of murder.