instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Man jailed for killing wife and her mother after secret Afghan family is discovered

Killed: Raneem Oudeh (left) and her mother Khaola Saleem PICTURES: WEST MIDLANDS POLICE/PA

A 21-YEAR-OLD man has been sentenced to life with a minimum term of 32 years for murdering his wife and her mother in a frenzied knife attack after his second secret family was discovered.

Janbaz Tarin killed Raneem Oudeh, 22, and her mother Khaola Saleem outside Mrs Saleem’s home in Northdown Road, Solihull, West Midlands, shortly after midnight on August 27.

Double life: Janbaz Tarin’s secret second family was discovered, which then led to the murders

Tarin, of Evelyn Road in Sparkhill, Birmingham, had armed himself with a knife after a public row with Ms Oudeh, who was his wife under Islamic law.

He then fled, leading police on a three-day manhunt before his dramatic capture by officers.

Ms Oudeh had dumped her husband in the weeks before his attack after learning he had three children and a secret wife who was pregnant with a fourth child in Afghanistan.

Angry confrontation: Tarin squares up to Raneem Oudeh and her mother Khaola Saleem at the Rotana Shisha Lounge

Jilted Tarin, who met Ms Oudeh at Solihull College, had also lied to her about how young he was.

He was abusive towards her in the relationship and she had previously contacted the police about his violent behaviour.

When she discovered his web of deceit Ms Oudeh dumped him.

But Tarin repeatedly harrassed his ex-partner, sleeping outside Mrs Saleem’s address for 12 consecutive nights.

Ms Oudeh had secured a non-molestation order against him after he smashed her phone on August 10.

But he flouted the ban and in the hours leading up to the assault Ms Oudeh made three calls to police.

She was on the phone to a 999 call handler when Tarin struck.

Emergency call: Raneem Oudeh calling police after confrontation at the shisha lounge

In the weeks before her murder, Ms Oudeh told family members he had threatened her, saying ‘if you leave me, I will kill you and your family’.

With the help of her mother, Ms Oudeh, who had a two-year-old son from another relationship, secured the court order two weeks before her death.

On the night of August 26, Tarin followed his victims to a shisha lounge.

There was a confrontation involving the three inside the lounge and Tarin was ejected by staff after being heard making threats to kill his estranged wife.

He left the scene, armed himself with a knife and drove to Mrs Saleem’s home where he violently attacked mother and daughter outside their front door.

He was captured on CCTV fleeing on foot and hid from police for three days, triggering a huge manhunt by West Midlands Police.

A tip-off by a member of the public led to his capture, although a criminal investigation is continuing into those who may have assisted Tarin in evading justice.

Ms Oudeh was only in the UK having fled the war in Syria and to be reunited with her mother and stepfather, who had lived in Solihull for 16 years.

Tarin was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court this afternoon.