instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Loo’s at fault… patient is pelted with poo in bed

A PATIENT recovering from surgery was covered in human poo after it fell through the ceiling.

Waste poured through a faulty pipe from a toilet at Cheltenham General Hospital and on to a woman below.

The patient’s belongings had to be thrown away, with staff describing an ‘awful smell’.

Others recovering on the Guiting ward, which treats patients undergoing vascular surgery, were also moved as a clean-up was ordered.

The hospital has apologised.

Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said there was a ‘minimal’ health risk after the incident at the hospital on Wednesday. ‘A fault in part of a pipe above a ward at Cheltenham General Hospital resulted in a patient coming into contact with waste from that pipe,’ it said in a statement.

‘All patients in that area were immediately relocated, the section of pipe and ceiling tiles replaced and the area cleaned and made safe.

‘While we recognise that this was a deeply unpleasant experience, we have reassured our patient that any clinical risk as a result of this accident is minimal and we have apologised to those affected.’