instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Kebab shop owner fined after allergy teen’s death

Dairy allergy: Chloe Gilbert PICTURE: PA

A TAKEAWAY shop owner was fined £800 following the death of a teenager who had a severe allergic reaction after eating a kebab.

Chloe Gilbert, 15, who suffered from a severe dairy allergy, died from an anaphylactic shock two hours after ordering the kebab with lettuce and chips.

The schoolgirl and a pal had eaten at the Al Falafel Takeaway in Bath, Somerset, owned by Riad Benotman, 37.

Chloe had been exposed to yogurt in her meal and she collapsed in the Southgate shopping centre shortly after. Paramedics tried to revive her but she died in the Royal United Hospital on March 5, 2017.

Takeaway: Al Falafel in Bath

Appearing at Bath magistrates court, Benotman admitted failing to identify the food he served was hazardous to customers with food sensitivities, and also failing to ensure documentation in respect of allergies was kept up to date.

There were no signs in Benotman’s shop alerting customers to allergens in food, nor in the menus.

In September 2016, council inspectors advised him to put up an allergen sign. However, he failed to do so.

District Judge Taylor told him: ‘As you are the person who served Chloe on that day I’m satisfied that what happened will live with you forever.’