instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Firefighters scale the heights to rescue sunbathing lizard

THIS is the bizarre moment firefighters rescued a pet iguana after it got trapped on a roof — while sunbathing.

Rescue crews dashed to the scene after a police officer was stopped in the street and told by a man his pet reptile, called Iggy, had escaped yesterday afternoon.

Firefighters spent just over 90 minutes rescuing the metre-long lizard from the roof in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, as temperatures soared to 86F (30C).

Rescuers tweeted pictures and video of the dramatic rescue after firefighters used extension ladders to reach cold-blooded Iggy.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: ‘Crews from #Stockhill and #Arnold were called to an unusual animal rescue — an iguana that was stuck on the top of a house in #Bulwell!

‘Firefighters had to scale new heights to rescue this cold blooded customer — who is now back with his owner! #NotJustFires.’

A spokesman added: ‘Firefighters from Stockhill and Arnold were called at 5.30pm to rescue an iguana that had become stuck on the roof of a house on Commercial Road.

‘A nine metre ladder was used so that crews could access the roof of the property and retrieve the 4ft male iguana, which is now safely back with his owner.’

Bestwood and Top Valley Police said: ‘While returning from scene preservation duties in Bulwell, a Bestwood beat officer was flagged down on Commercial Road and informed that an iguana was on the roof of one of the shops.

Iggy had escaped through an upstairs window, crawled across three rooftops and was happily sunning itself.

Catching some rays: Iguanas are cold-blooded, so need a bit of sunshine PICTURES: SWNS/REX

The fire service had already been called and arrived shortly afterwards.

‘After considering a few options, the firemen went up on ladders, got hold of Iggy and returned him to the ground and a thankful owner.’

Witness John Taylor, 30, said: ‘It was pretty hot on Monday so Iggy obviously fancied catching some rays. Poor thing clearly had no plan on how to get back inside.

‘Thankfully it had a happy ending. Everyone was cheering when the firefighter brought him down the ladder.’