instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

F1 supremo Chase Carey says ‘soz about Oz’

FORMULA One boss Chase Carey has apologised for the Australian Grand Prix’s last-minute cancellation.

The opening round of the new season was officially called off just 90 minutes before the first practice session was due to start last week.

F1, and its governing body the FIA, were criticised for failing to communicate the status of the race after thousands of fans arrived at Albert Park, Melbourne, on Friday morning. The subsequent races in Bahrain, Vietnam and China are also off.

‘First and foremost, our priority is the health and safety of the fans, teams, and organisations of Formula One, as well as wider society,’ said Carey (pictured). ‘We apologise to those fans affected by the cancellation in Australia, as well as the postponement of the other races to date. These decisions are being made by Formula One, the FIA, and our local promoters in rapidly changing and evolving circumstances, but we believe they are the right and necessary ones.’

Confirmation the Dutch and Spanish Grands Prix cannot take place on the first two weekends of May is expected this week. The Monaco Grand Prix is set for May 24, but the Azerbaijan race on June 7 is seen as more realistic.