instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Crash victim’s mum: We can’t start to grieve

THE distraught mother of a teenage motorcyclist who was killed after he crashed into a car reportedly driven on the wrong side of the road by a US diplomat’s wife has spoken about how difficult it has been to grieve for her son.

Charlotte Charles (pictured above with Harry’s father, Tim Dunn) told BBC Breakfast: ‘We’ve had many words of comfort but nothing is going to really help us… we can’t start to grieve — it’s been very very difficult.’

Anne Sacoolas, 42, married to a US intelligence official, was allegedly granted diplomatic immunity after the crash outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on August 27.

Asked if she had had any contact from the suspect a tearful Ms Charles said: ‘Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Killed: 19-year-old Harry Dunn

‘I think that’s one of the hardest things we’re having to deal with is because we have got a name and we have got a face and still nothing — it just seems inhumane.

‘It just doesn’t feel right. As a mother myself and many other people who have come forward and fought for us — all the way around the world now — it’s just really distressing not to have any word from her being a mum herself.

‘I can’t get my head around that, it doesn’t sit well with me.’

Immunity: Anne Sacoolas

Northamptonshire Police have written to the US embassy in London to demand immunity is waived for Mrs Sacoolas, who left the UK after the crash despite telling officers she did not plan to do so.

It said US authorities had been appealed to in ‘the strongest terms’ to apply a waiver and ‘allow the justice process to take place’.

Prime minister Boris Johnson has since urged the US to reconsider its decision to give immunity to the diplomat’s wife, saying: ‘I do not think it can be right to use the process of diplomatic immunity for this type of purpose.’

Ongoing discussion: Dominic Raab PICTURE: REX

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab has also spoken with the US ambassador Woody Johnson, after initially raising the case in a telephone call with secretary of state Mike Pompeo.

A Foreign Office spokesman said Mr Raab had ‘reiterated his disappointment with the US decision and urged them to reconsider’.

Meanwhile, a crowdfunding page set up for Harry’s family to help bring Mrs Sacollas back to the UK to face legal proceedings has reached its £10,000 target.

The description on the page, which has been named ‘Justice 4 Harry’, reads: ‘Harry’s loss has left an enormous hole in the lives of the family and they are understandably going through a shattering and life-changing time.

‘This funding page is being set up to help the family and his twin brother Niall through these traumatic times and to build up a fund as the family embark on a campaign to search for justice for Harry as the legal process unfolds.’