instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Cowell burglar gets eight years

A BURGLAR who carried out a raid of almost £1million on the home of Simon Cowell, which left the music mogul in ‘constant fear’, faces a further eight years behind bars.

Darren February (pictured above), who is already in prison for knocking down and killing a motorcyclist, stole jewellery and passports from Cowell’s west London home in December 2015 as the music mogul and his family slept.

The entertainment boss, in a victim impact statement read to Isleworth Crown Court, said: ‘The whole incident has been very traumatic and there is a constant fear that it may be repeated and that it may be worse next time.’

Cowell (pictured above), his partner Lauren Silverman, their son Eric, then aged two, and a nanny were asleep in the four-floor, five-bedroom house during the raid.

Cowell added: ‘This incident has caused me great concerns about the security of my family.

‘On reflection I am very scared of what could have happened to my son if the burglar had gone into his room.

‘I could not bear to think of the consequences and also a lot would have happened if the burglar had come into our room.’

The X Factor supremo, who has lived at the property in the well-to-do area of the capital for 10 years, said he, his partner and Eric’s nannies ‘have become much more anxious over safety issues relating to my son’s care and well-being’.

He told of his concern at what could have happened if February, who has a string of previous convictions dating back to when he was aged 12, had gone into Eric’s room in the 17 minutes he spent inside the house.

Cowell said: ‘My son was in the house that night and I am naturally very concerned over what could have happened if the burglar had entered my son’s room, as any parent in the same situation would be.’

February was last year jailed for eight and a half years for causing death by dangerous driving after crashing into biker Kenneth Baldwin.

Prosecutor Denis Barry told the court that a previous trial heard how February left Mr Baldwin to die in the street, returning to the scene only to retrieve property from the car.