MAURIZIO SARRI has hailed Callum Hudson-Odoi as ‘the future of our club and English football’ after declaring Chelsea do not to intend to sell him now or in the summer.
The 18-year-old is out of contract in June 2020 and has been linked with a £35million move to Bayern Munich before tomorrow’s transfer deadline, with Chelsea reportedly turning down his request to leave.
‘On the pitch he’s doing very well. I’m really very happy with him,’ said Blues boss Sarri (pictured).
‘I’m not very happy with the situation but I know very well that every big team here in England has the same problem.
‘It’s not easy to keep these young players. He is, of course, one of the best 18-year-olds in Europe, so it’s very, very difficult.
‘The club told me he’s out of the market for sure and probably he will be out of the market in July.’
For Hudson-Odoi to stay next season it would seem Chelsea must persuade him to sign a new contract but he will not be given any guarantees about seeing regular first-team action.
It is not down to Sarri whether the teenager is offered a new deal and he added: ‘I cannot do anything. It’s impossible to promise he will play every match, because it depends on the situation.’
Hudson-Odoi scored his second Chelsea goal on his sixth start of the season in Sunday’s FA Cup fourth-round win over Sheffield Wednesday. He has made five other substitute appearances, three of those in the Premier League. Speaking ahead of tonight’s game at Bournemouth, the manager said: ‘He’s improving. I think he’ll be the future of our club. He will be the future of English football.’
Sarri had hoped to make two signings this month. Only Gonzalo Higuain has arrived so far, on loan from Juventus, and the coach is keen to find a replacement for Cesc Fabregas, who has joined Monaco.
‘I thought it was important to have two players. One’s arrived. I’m waiting for the other,’ Sarri said.