instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Briton dies as he clears city of landmines left by Daesh

A BRITON who went to Syria to fight Daesh has been killed by a booby-trap device while clearing mines in Raqqa.

Oliver Hall was with the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) when he was killed in the blast. His family have been informed.

The 24-year-old from Ports-mouth went to Syria in August to help in the liberation of Raqqa, which had been controlled by Daesh for more than three years. In a video published on the YPG Facebook page, Mr Hall said: ‘I came here of my own free will knowing all the risks and consequences that can follow.

‘Whilst being here I’ve received all the language training, political, history and background to everything. Greetings to all my family and friends if unfortunately you are reading this.’

The YPG described Mr Hall as a ‘martyr’. In a tribute, it said: ‘The mop-up operation initiated in the city of Raqqa since the end of the liberation campaign of the city has been continuing unceasingly.

‘Hundreds of mines and traps have been placed inside almost every building in the city, so the cleaning process is carried out with great care.

‘Fighters show a great effort and abnegation even after the operation to ensure that the inhabitants of the city return safely.

‘On November 25, 2017, Canser Zagros (Oliver Hall), who was involved in mine clearance work, was martyred as he was trying to defuse a booby trap.

‘We’d like to extend our sympathy to our martyr’s family.’

Mark Campbell, co-chairman of the Kurdish Solidarity Campaign, said: ‘Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of Ollie at this time.’