instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Bride saves dad’s life at her own wedding after he collapses on dance floor

To the rescue: Kim Leary with dad John

A BRIDE saved her dad’s life at her own wedding after he collapsed and stopped breathing while strutting his stuff to Queen on the dance floor.

Kim Leary, 37, said the best day of her life nearly became the worst after dad John Douglas, 65, went into respiratory arrest at her reception.

The OAP had heart problems and overexerted himself by bopping along to Bohemian Rhapsody with her other guests.

Close call: John pictured at the wedding before he collapsed

But it put too much pressure on his heart and moments later he fell to the floor, and nurse Kim watched in horror as he stopped breathing.

Unable to find a pulse, nurse Kim, still in her ‘massive princess’ white gown, administered first aid, giving him lifesaving rescue breaths.

Miraculously it saved his life and Kim and new groom Iain, 37, spent their wedding night in A&E at her father’s bedside.

It wasn’t the way she expected her wedding night to end but she’s just thankful he pulled through.

Kim, a mum from Chester said: ‘Thank God he didn’t die. You can’t undo your wedding day.

‘It would have turned the best day ever into the worst day ever.

‘I did joke with dad that I was glad he saved it for midnight and not when I was walking down the aisle.

‘He never dances and doesn’t really drink. He must have exerted himself that much dancing to Queen.

‘He has now said that he wants “Another One Bites The Dust” played at his funeral.’

Day to remember: Kim Leary on her wedding day with husband Iain PICTURES: SWNS

John has suffered with heart problems for years, including angina and cardiomyopathy. He had already taken a mouth spray medication and beta blockers during the day.

The combination of his medication, drinks and dancing caused his blood pressure to plummet, and put his heart to be under pressure.

He collapsed after saying goodbye to his daughter.

‘He hit the deck right in front of me — like a sack of potatoes. His legs went from under him. I thought he had had a heart attack,’ said Kim.

‘I think it must have been the shock, but at the time I was in autopilot and just thinking of him like another patient. I didn’t cry.

‘When I felt he wasn’t breathing, I thought he was going to die.’

Kim, a nurse of 20 years, asked staff for a defibrillator and instructed people to call an ambulance.

She gave him ‘mouth to mouth’ rescue breaths which thankfully worked and he spluttered awake with a cough.

‘The paramedics said he was very very lucky to have survived,’ she said.

‘If he’d been in the taxi, he wouldn’t be alive.’

He was taken to hospital in an ambulance, and because Kim was his next of kin, she and new hubby Iain followed close behind.

‘When he came around properly I said to him ‘I’m sorry dad but I wasn’t going to let you die on my wedding day.’

As soon as he was stable the couple returned to the hotel, and were able to get a few days away on honeymoon in St Ives.

John spent five days in the Countess of Chester Hospital and now uses a motorised scooter to get around.