MIKEL ARTETA says he has now fully recovered from coronavirus.
The 37-year-old Arsenal manager tested positive for the virus 12 days ago, hours before the Premier League postponed all its fixtures.
Players and staff at Arsenal have been self-isolating since Arteta’s diagnosis, but the Spaniard believes he is now back to full health.
‘I’m very well now, I feel that I have recovered,’ he said.
‘It took me three or four days to start feeling much better and with more energy, to leave the symptoms behind, and now the truth is that I feel very well.’
Arteta had self-isolated after coming into contact with Olympiakos president Evangelos Marinakis, who subsequently tested positive, at Arsenal’s Europa League defeat with the Greek outfit at the Emirates at the end of last month.
‘Everything happened very fast,’ recalled Arteta. ‘On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling so-so and I went to see the doctor but he wasn’t there.
‘I got a call from the board after training and they told me the president of Olympiakos had tested positive and everyone who had been in contact was at risk. I went on to tell them I wasn’t feeling well and that we had a situation because lots of players had been in contact with them.
‘We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn’t put lots of people at risk without saying anything.
‘I had the test done on Wednesday and I was diagnosed on Thursday, when we had to communicate to the Premier League I’d tested positive.
‘Obviously all those who had been in contact with me had to go into quarantine, and consequently games had to be suspended.’
Gunners players were due to return to training today, two weeks after the first-team squad and around 100 of the club’s employees were sent into self-isolation.
However, Arsenal said in a statement: ‘We are clear it would be inappropriate and irresponsible to ask players to come back at this time.’