instagram envelope_alt facebook twitter search youtube_play whatsapp remove external_link loop2 arrow-down2

Anthony Joshua urged to dodge rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr

Damage: Joshua

FRANK WARREN has questioned Anthony Joshua’s ability to regain his place among the world’s top heavyweight boxers.

Warren, who promotes rival Tyson Fury, urged the Londoner not to take a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr, who defeated Joshua in New York earlier this month despite being a late replacement after Jarrell Miller’s positive drug tests.

‘I do have my doubts,’ Warren said. ‘I don’t think he should take the rematch. He’ll be fighting a guy who next time who will have more than five weeks’ notice and go into a proper training camp.

‘I’m not going to say or make any predictions about the shape of his body but he’s got fast hands and I believe he’s got Joshua’s number.

‘He’s taken Joshua’s best shot and knows he has the punching power to do damage to Anthony Joshua.’

Warren said he did not know who Fury will fight next but it would be someone ‘in the top five’ — adding he expects the Briton to fight American Deontay Wilder early next year.

After stopping Germany’s Tom Schwarz in Las Vegas on Saturday, Fury said dates of September 21 or October 5 were agreed in principle for his next bout and Warren added: ‘We’ll work on that over the next week and make it happen. I do not have a name at the moment.’

On the Briton’s rematch with Wilder, after last December’s draw, Warren insisted: ‘I don’t think the problem is the money. All parties want to make this fight happen.’

boxing