ANDY MURRAY will be welcomed back to the Australian Open in January a year after the tournament bade him an emotional farewell.
Tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed the former world number one (pictured), who can enter events using a protected ranking of two, will be in Melbourne for the first grand slam of 2020.
‘For sure Andy will be here,’ Tiley told Australian radio station Triple M on Tuesday. ‘I was on the phone to his agent this morning. He is going to be in Australia early.
‘He is ready to return. Remember he said goodbye a year ago. It’s great in that period he had surgery and has rebounded really well.’
The former world number one had career-saving hip surgery earlier this year and continued his good progress by reaching the China Open quarter-finals last week.
He battled to another victory over Argentinian, Juan Ignacio Londero, in the first round of the Shanghai Masters on Monday and was due to face Fabio Fognini in the second round on Tuesday.
He made his singles comeback in August after playing doubles for two months and, although it is still early days, his form in Asia indicates that a return to the top of the game is not impossible.
He will compete in Antwerp next week and then could take a break before the Davis Cup finals in Madrid in November, where he is set to be part of the British team.
The Scot will kick off the 2020 season by representing his country again at the inaugural ATP Cup in Australia.